Friday, February 11, 2011

Taking a walk on the wild side

I'd never tried Okinawan cuisine before, but I was told pork was a central part of the meal. Not just pork meat, but every part and organ of the pig would be used to cook up something delicious. And if this was an indication of things to come, then Mimigar fits the bill like a fist in a glove. In fact, the name Mimigar means "pig's ears" in the local Okinawan dialect.

Some say Okinawan cuisine is a hybrid of Chinese and Japanese cooking, more cooked food than raw, and yet not as spicy or savory as a typical Chinese meal. I was about to find out as I stepped into the restaurant.

It would appear that we were the only non Japanese in the restaurant tonight, which was a good sign. I guess it doesn't get any more authentic than this. We ordered a variety of dishes, starting with baby fish on tofu as an appetizer.

The chilled baby fish and tofu wasn't the most delectable appetizer I've eaten lately, but it was visually a sight I wouldn't forget soon after. Next was the dried fugu with a side of mayo dipping sauce, some stir-fried egg and bitter gourd (a very typical Okinawan staple), a beef curry with rice, and finally seafood seaweed soup. All in all, a very interesting and unusual meal for an evening.





No comments: