Saturday, October 4, 2008

Brunch In The Mission Part 1


I was walking around the Mission District neighborhood in San Francisco last Saturday and stumbled upon this really sweet spot called Mission Beach Cafe. It actually reminded me of another cafe with a similar name in the Mission Beach area of San Diego some summers back. Looking at the menu in the display window, the items seemed very tantalizing and I had to give it a try. The cafe prides itself in serving New American cuisine (I guess that's another name for California cuisine), the kind of stuff I like on a weekend for brunch - scrambled eggs with truffle and cheese, golden potatoes and a fresh nectarine salad, hot coffee and a fresh artisanal bran muffin. Brunches don't get any better than this, usually.

Mission Beach Cafe has been attracting a very strong following since opening a couple of years ago.The cafe is another fine example of why I like eating in the bay area - the use of seasonal, organic farmer's market ingredients that help sustain the local community and provide an abundance of natural flavors at the table. Did I forget to mention the artworks on display? Some pretty neat pieces of urban landscapes that showcase the venue as a community focal point and a distinctive neighborhood institution.

Mission Beach Cafe is located at 198 Guerrero Street @ 14th St in San Francisco. 415-861-0198.

No comments: