Friday, September 5, 2008

My Pho craving landed me at Cafe Annam


Being still relatively new to Hong Kong and the Central district, I decided to take a walk around SoHo one afternoon to look for something new to eat. More often than not, I end up in a Vietnamese bistro, always searching for that pefect bowl of Pho, the aromatic flavor of Vietnamese spices and beef wafting from a steaming bowl of broth cooked for endless hours and served over rice noodles and fresh herbs.

Ah, that's paradise, but today, I've settled for 2 Vietnamese appetizers and a Vietnamese drip coffee. Besides Pho, I also have a thing for steamed rice paper rolls that are delicately filled with minced pork, mushroom and glass noodle. The Cafe Annam version didn't disappoint at all, the paper thin rolls filled were served with a generous sprinkling of fried shallots and went down so well with spicy fish sauce. I also ordered fresh rolls with prawn, another Vietnamese staple that's available in every Vietnamese restaurant anywhere. These were quite good, but tasted a little dry, and was a little too heavy on the vegetables and not enough prawn meat. I wasn't too hungry (just greedy) that afternoon, so it was best to call it a day.

No comments: