Friday, April 30, 2010

Good Vue, great food

It was the eve of the Shanghai Expo and the hotel was packed with the French delegation and a smattering of Chinese government officials hogging the west wing of the hotel, so I decided to stick to the east wing, hoping for a little respite from the crowds.

When I got to the Vue restaurant on the 30th floor, I found out that they had removed my reservation. It didn't take long for them to find a table for me after I insisted on talking to their hotel general manager. So there I was, trying to get a nice quiet dinner by myself, but now stuck next to an obnoxious crowd of loud talking Chinese toasting each other with wine that they were probably clueless about. Anyway, I got my table, and I was pleased.

The restaurant, located at the Hyatt On The Bund, is another Super Potato creation, and the signature style can be discerned from the layout and arrangement of wall designs. Vue was designed with a homestyle kitchen concept in mind, where diners are entertained by chefs cooking right beside the table as if they were sitting at the counter in a large kitchen.

I have been to Vue several times for their excellent Australian Wagyu steaks, but today, I opted for the spring seasonal menu featuring asparagus. For starters, I selected the oven baked wild mushroom soup, which was actually done very much like french onion soup style. It was a decent attempt, but it didn't get me too excited. The Atlantic cod with asparagus, on the other hand, was excellent, fresh and tender, and the accompanying bearnaise sauce was perfect for the asparagus.

As I was finishing my main course, the fireworks display started and the diners got up from their seats and rushed to the windows facing the Bund at the far end of the restaurant. I was much relieved, as the room suddenly went silent, and I was able to finish my meal in peace.

No comments: