Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hakuunsou in Hakone

While researching on ryokans in Japan, I came across a quaint little traditional ryokan deep in the mountains of Hakone called Hakuunsou. It was tiny, not situated in one of the more popular tourist towns in Hakone, and had a little river running beside it. Sounded like the perfect getaway for a night out of Tokyo.

Of course, my second reason for staying in a ryokan had always been about the food, the exquisite kaiseki cuisine presentation that unfolds ceremoniously over dinner in the tatami bedroom. The reviews about the food at Hakuunsou were all very positive, so I made the travel arrangements with the help of the Hyatt concierge, and left for Hakone.

After arriving in the town of Yugawara, I caught the local taxi to Hakuunsou. It was already dark by the time we arrived, and it was only 4:45PM in the afternoon. After checking in, I was ushered to the room, where the staff proceeded to give a detailed overview of the room, facilities, the do's and don'ts of staying in a ryokan, and finally requesting for the preferred time of my dinner.

Dinner 










Since this is a food blog, I'll keep the details to both the dinner and breakfast services. Both were equally elaborate, showcased the seasonal ingredients, yet were very different in terms of taste and presentation. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Breakfast









Details of Hakuunsou can be found at www.ryokancollection.com.

No comments: