Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Back to T8

On my way back from the Shanghai Expo, I decided to swing by Xintiandi to check out the scene. Unfortunately, I didn't see any restaurants that interested me after walking both the south and north blocks, which invariably meant I had only one decent choice for dinner that night. So I headed over to T8.

It has been at least a couple of years since I dined there, so I was expecting a lot of new items on the menu. The restaurant was very crowded when I walked in, but fortunately, they always had some seats available by the counter. 

Truffle was featured on the menu, so I picked an entree and a main for my meal. The bread was served in their signature cup holder, with butter and a dipping sauce. I was glad that some things haven't changed at T8. My entree was corn soup with ravioli and truffles over a cream sauce. A little heavy on the calories, but the soup was wonderful and the truffle flavor lifted the soup above the ordinary. 

My main course was roasted chicken wrapped in bacon, and stuffed with truffles, served over cauliflower puree and pickled cabbage. The chicken was very tender and flavors of the bacon, cabbage and the truffles blended together very well.


It was good to know that T8 has managed to maintain its high standards after the last few years, and has stayed true to its creative culinary edge. But with the new restaurants sprouting all around Shanghai over the past year, it looks like the competition is heating up with the likes of Mr&Mrs Bund and Restaurant Martin following closely behind. For me, T8 will always remain a favorite, and possibly the only reason I would return to Xintiandi.

No comments: