Saturday, December 12, 2009

Return to Maverick

I like this place a lot. And it's in the neighborhood. Matthew the co-owner and manager always seems to be in a funny mood to entertain us. Tonight we were talking about the art installation he had in the main dining area of the restaurant. It consisted of old wooden speaker boxes refurbished as light boxes with parts of the map of the USA embedded in it. It was certainly something unique and different, but that's what makes Maverick such a maverick. Anyway, I have digressed from my original intention for this entry, and that's about the food.

Tonight, I decided I needed comfort food, and nothing says comfort louder than Southern fried chicken, all dipped in buttermilk and deep fried with cornflour to perfection, with a side of kale, grits and gravy. My southern Florida roots are showing again. I also ordered the orange cauliflower soup for starters, and it was one of the best cauliflower soup I've ever had. Maybe that's the reason why I keep coming back to Maverick, they serve such simple dishes with ease and yet amazing in taste. And they always seem to be a regular mention in the local monthly San Francisco magazine (which is where I usually get my leads for the next big thing to eat in this city). We ended the meal with profiteroles and olive oil ice cream. It was a perfect meal for a wet weekend in San Francisco.

No comments: